Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sullivan & Son: Steve Sullivan and His Family

When I heard from my friend that Sullivan & Son was a show about an Asian American owned a bar, I was expecting...well, I didn't know what to expect. The concept alone is completely against the mainstream; an Asian American, Steve Sullivan, achieves a degree and a career in law according to his parents wishes, he comes back to family's bar and trades his new high-salary position to pick up the family business, a move regarded by most Asian parents-and even many loyal Asian American children-as risky or foolish. I can't even relate to this ideal circumstance because my own first generation Asian parents have thoroughly convinced me that dreams are worthless if you do not have the money to pursue them. It's not really a choice. So when I first saw that this sitcom challenged the Asian stereotypes, I was curious to see how Steve would deal with the one of the greatest Asian stereotypes: the irritated tiger mom. However, from the first episode, I saw that Steve wasn't treated too differently than any other American and I wondered if this series would ever address Asian stereotypes.



I was pleased that as I watched more episodes, the Sullivan family proved me wrong. While Steve is half Irish and half Korean, his family is fully aware of the Asian stereotype and even embrace it, especially Steve's mother, Ok Cha Sullivan (of whom I will thoroughly cover in another entry). I appreciate that this show holds no bars when it comes to addressing the Asian stereotypes by giving the racist role to Hank, a man with no filter on his commentary of Amerca's diversity. In spite of his ranting, the regular members of the bar, including its Asian owners, still consider Hank a major part of the family. This is why I have come to love this show; Asians stereotypes are not the only recognized, they are fully addressed as the friendly atmosphere of the bar allows its patrons to forgive people like Hank who often spouts offensive comments but genuinely grows to care for others. Sullivan & Son offers a microcosm of a nearly ideal America where the white man is still not perfect, but is learning to accept, not only Asians, but other ethnicities as well.


-by Dylan Huynh

No comments:

Post a Comment